Re: [Protux-devel] regarding BusMonitor

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] regarding BusMonitor
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:51:49 +0200

On Monday 20 October 2003 18:24, Luciano Giordana wrote:
> Honestly, I think I changed my mind. I dont think the splitter should be
> removed. This is why.
>
> Jmb actions are supposed to be directed to audio editing, not interface
> adjustments. The reason is that normally a user tends to keep the interface
> always in a same way and never changes it. We would be spending a central
> key (B) to a very unsed action. B would be central key bus selection/bus
> level adjustment, and other bus stuff, but not the bus widget which can be
> "clicklly" adjusted.
>
> We dont want to kill ALL clicks, we want to kill as much as we can. But how
> worthy is to eliminate the bus monitor clicks right now, and keep the FS
> clicks ?

Yes, there you have a point. But if you ask me, I'd like it (no clicks) more
to have on BM then on FS. FS has all kind of buttons, and they are just made
to click on it. So why change it, and not just use it as it is supposed to
be!
If we (you ;-) ) decide to make FS clickless, it means we can remove all
buttons, as they are useless to click on! Just a text should do then. But
really hard to implement. And very confusing to the user!

> lets reserve the letter (A-Z) to very used actions. Those interface
> adjustments could also be jmb oriented, but in the future, in a special
> mode, like , you <IA> (Interface adjustments) then all actions will adjust
> the interface, then you get back to work with <ESC> , and so on...

Yes, but people wiht LOTS of busses are probably using this "show_only_vus_in/
out" more the once....

> RFC, and sorry if you have already worked on eliminating splitter :-}

Ehm, eliminating the splitter is just one of the things I've finished right
now.......  :-(

But I agree that the <B> key for the BM is confusing as it is also used for
selecting Busses which is a completely different thing.

I don't like splitters, and it's really annoying to have them in BusMonitor.
(Thats MHO ;-)
The reason: wasting space in BM and when BM is docked, the splitter easely
becomes invisible and you have to restart protux to make for example the VU's
in visible again!!

But why not using the (a) cardInfoArea or, which I'm implementing now (and
really small, trust me), "InOutIndicatorArea",  with a nice button to switch
between "only_vus_in" "only_vus_out"?

Please, give me some more time to finish it, and give it a try...

Regards,

Remon