[Protux-devel] Change of autoconf strategy in CVS

From: Martin Herren
Subject: [Protux-devel] Change of autoconf strategy in CVS
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:19:49 +0100

Hej,

i already posted something about this issue begining of the year, but didn't
get any reply. I'd like to RFC before making the change.

After endless researches i finally arrived at the conclusion that CVS and
autotools are not made for each other (and finally understood the lambda nature
of ./configure which resulted in so many strange errors)... and thus it will
always be necessary to have the correct version of the autotools installed in
order to compile the CVS version.
The problem are the timestamps (file modification date/time), which are not
preserved by CVS. Thus autotools need to be rerun in order to be sure that all
dependencies are met.

Due to that i think about to remove most of the autostuff files from CVS, just
leaving the configure.ac, all the Makefile.am and the acinclude.ac only...
This forces everyone who uses CVS to have autotools in the correct version
installed (or a compatible version, as there is more than just one working
;-)...
But currently you already need it... so this won't change anything.

So removing most autotool files won't change anything from the user point, but
will prevent having CVS conflicts in configure and Makefile.in as we often have
now... which result in broken ./configure scripts and strange errors as we have
seen too often.

Just a note about releases, once libmustux/protux has been built succesffully
(you can run make without it rerunning autotools), all timestamps are correct,
so it's possible to make a distribution tarball

_without_the_end_user_needing_to_have_autotools_installed_ !!!

(tar files preserve timestamps ;-)

So i think that's an important point which should be done, but i'd like
feedback (Luciano ?) before doing it.

/Martin

PS: Sorry that it took that long to understand the problem... but on the net
you'll find plenty of people with the same problem, and not many answers ! And
this explains also why most project don't have the (unnecessary) autotools
files in CVS !