pspp-dev

Re: copious errors compiling on netbsd

From: Jason Stover
Subject: Re: copious errors compiling on netbsd
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:36:35 -0400

http://www.sakla.net/config.log

>      Looking at the errors, I see a lot of this kind of thing:
>
>      /sys/pkg/include/ncurses.h:320: error: conflicting types for `attr_t'
>      /usr/include/curses.h:49: error: previous declaration of `attr_t'
>
>      On this system, the more recent file with the declaration is
> /sys/pkg/include/ncurses.h,
>      not /usr/include/curses.h.
>
>      Is this something the configure script should handle, or is it
>      an idiosyncrasy the user should be taking care of?
>

> It certainly looks like you have two different (incompatible) versions
> of ncurses.  Since one of them is in the default path, I don't see any
> way to prevent this from getting included first.
>
> You could force configure to find the older one, by running configure
> with "NCURSES_CFLAGS=-I/usr/include ./configure ..."

I just tried that:

  $ echo $NCURSES_CFLAGS
  -I/usr/include

and then ran configure. But

    $ grep NCURSES_CFLAGS config.log
    NCURSES_CFLAGS='-I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/pkg/include/ncurses'

So I changed NCURSES_CFLAGS manually in the Makefile, but compiling still
gave the same error. /sys/pkg/include was defined in C_INCLUDE_PATH, so
I dropped it from that variable, then tried it again. And that broke the
functions which rely on gsl, whose header files are in /sys/pkg/include.

Maybe I need to contact the admin of sdf.lonestar.org to ask him to keep
only one copy of the ncurses headers.

> For all the benefit we get from libncurses (not very  much), and the
> link/compile problems it uses I wonder if we oughtn't to have a
> --without-libncurses flag.

That would be good for me.

-Jason