pspp-users

Re: Windows download link on gnu.org

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Windows download link on gnu.org
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 22:59:46 +0100

Hi Alan

I was just refreshing my Windows copy of PSPP and I was reflecting on
the trouble that Windows users have in downloading and I think some
simple changes to the gnu.org download page could make it a lot easier
on them.

I always go to the gnu.org page:

https://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/get.html

And on that page, there's a series of bullets for various operating
systems, including Windows but Windows has no clickable link (whereas
the others all do have clickable links).  Why is this?

Never noticed this, but you are right. However for other OS-es it is linking to info about that OS. That might not be what MSWindows users want.

Shouldn't we link
to pspp.awardspace.com?  Or at least add an HTML anchor so that you can
click and it will scroll down to the awardspace.com link?

I would vote for the anchor.

Also, the actual link for the windows is a bullet further down the page
under "MS Windows" that says "XP and up".  Couldn't it say "All recent
Windows (XP and up)" or "Windows executable (XP and up)" or something
similar? I don't know that current Windows users will know what "XP" and
"and up" and "binaries" mean...

Maybe:
Current MSWindows versions (all PSPP versions for MSWindows)

But I can't change that,

Ps. It seems sometimes in some part of the world there are problems with reaching awardspace.com. Don't know why. So the link to sourceforge is necessary too.

Have fun.