pspp-users

Re: Windows download link on gnu.org

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Windows download link on gnu.org
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 14:44:20 +0100

On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 03:02:00AM -0600, Alan Mead wrote:

     On 12/16/2015 7:45 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     > Just now, I did some major revisions to the "download" page. I think
     > it will be easier for users. Any comments?

     I agree; seems to me like it will be much easier for new users to find
PSPP.

     The links you've added make it easy to compare PSPP versions available
     for various platforms and it's interesting to see that Windows is the
     platform that gets newest releases first.  On Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu,
     OpenSUSE, or FreeBSD, I'd be running 0.8.5 whereas Windows has 0.9.0. I
     don't know what Gnewsense is, but the latest package at that link was
     2.5 years old.  I know you can always download and make the source
     (except, of course, when you cannot--I cannot make PSPPIRE on Centos 6).

     I wonder if we'd have fewer Windows complaints if it weren't the first
     platform to get new versions...  Of course, that also means that they're
     first to get new fixes...

Just to be clear, the only "releases" are the ones at ftp.gnu.org - These are
what we consider to be stable and have had thorough testing.

Harry has regularly made windows binaries from unreleased snapshots from the
git repository (which  he is welcome to do).  Like you say, people who use
these snapshots are the first to see both the bugs, and the bug fixes.

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3