pspp-users

Re: Windows download link on gnu.org

From: Friedrich Beckmann
Subject: Re: Windows download link on gnu.org
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 11:16:49 +0100

Hi Alan,

on MacOS Jeremy has the pspp (0.8.5) and the pspp-devel (updated sometimes)
versions.
But that requires macports which requires Xcode to install.

Friedrich

Am 17.12.2015 um 10:02 schrieb Alan Mead <address@hidden>:

> On 12/16/2015 7:45 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>> Just now, I did some major revisions to the "download" page. I think
>> it will be easier for users. Any comments?
>
> I agree; seems to me like it will be much easier for new users to find PSPP.
>
> The links you've added make it easy to compare PSPP versions available
> for various platforms and it's interesting to see that Windows is the
> platform that gets newest releases first.  On Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu,
> OpenSUSE, or FreeBSD, I'd be running 0.8.5 whereas Windows has 0.9.0. I
> don't know what Gnewsense is, but the latest package at that link was
> 2.5 years old.  I know you can always download and make the source
> (except, of course, when you cannot--I cannot make PSPPIRE on Centos 6).

At least on debian the versions are „frozen“ with a stable distribution. The
suggested way to update to a new version would be to make a back port.
But that induces some effort. Ubuntu and all derivates will automatically
take the packages from debian and also freeze. So once we have
something in debian it will ripple to the other distributions.