qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: NE2K PCI and Windows 98SE & Cirrus Logic

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Re: NE2K PCI and Windows 98SE & Cirrus Logic
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:16:16 +0200

Antony T Curtis wrote:
On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 09:18, Mike Nordell wrote:

Leigh Dyer wrote:

I can also confirm that the 4Mb video RAM patch committed a couple of
hours ago fixes the Cirrus Logic video with Win2k - it detected the
card at install and seems to be running quite happily with the
standard driver that ships with Win2k.

Ah, wonderful! I just tested and can confirm it too. No more slow VGA! :-)

I am still having problems with WinXP ... it appears to be trying to to
vram to vram color-expand pattern bitblts starting from the first byte
after the end of the current display (ie 800x600x16bit, src =
0x000ea600)
However, when I examine these bytes, they are always zero - which I
think is partly to blame for the display problems I am having.

To correct this, I have to turn off all acceleration.

It seems to be a bug in the Windows NT Cirrus driver. It uses pattern fill for solid fill (as on a 5430), but it does not initialize the pattern buffer correctly. I made a kludge in the device emulation by initializing the VGA memory to 0xff at boot time.

A possible explanation of that problem is that NT does not recognize the VGA card as a true 5446. It may use some undocumented register to do the device probing instead of the PCI device ID.

For example, I spent a long time to find that NT uses SR15 to probe the memory size (it was a bug indicated by early users...).

Fabrice.