qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Icon proposal: a carnival mask

From: Jean-Michel POURE
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Icon proposal: a carnival mask
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 09:58:34 +0200

> Masks and clowns give me the creeps. And the Carnival thing won't make
> sense to anyone in the U.S. Here, carnivals have more of a history of
> being freak shows and in modern times, just a traveling bunch of cheap
> imitations of big amusement park rides.

Personaly, it does not bother me to make a historical reference. The mask is
not a reference to Disneyland but rather to Venizia canrival, where people
change identities.

Also, the mask icon is quite different from other icons, in the hope that it
"flashes the eye" on desktops:
http://www.freeoszoo.org/img/qemu_icon.png

Anyway, if there is a potential misunderstanding, I will forget about
carnival. Does anyone share John understanding here?

> I like the Cheetah idea better, but I think there is Free Pascal
> compiler that uses the Cheetah mascot.
> Maybe a Gazelle, or a racecar or jackrabbit...

I like the idea of Gazelle, which is supposed to be fast and intelligent. When
under attack, she is not running in the same direction, not like other
animals... Also, she is quite light, same as QEMU design.

Thanks for your feedback. I will propose other logos in the next days, as I am
quite busy with the FreeOsZoo site.

Kindest regards,
Jean-Michel