qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Attitute and Predisposition of the List & newbie documets

From: Thomas Munn
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Attitute and Predisposition of the List & newbie documets
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:11:30 -0400

While I am not among those who are enlightened enought to talk about opcodes and their proper optimization, I do have a few observations to make, having watched this list for 2 months.

1.  People really don't like newcomers on this list.
2.  QEMU-USERS would be great, if it actually worked.  I have asked on the list TWICE now, with absolutely no comment (or way to get qemu-users) working.  The interface fails, and messages never get anywhere.  Unless this is a tricky INTENT, in that users will just go to /dev/null.  Which is fine, if the project just wants to be for gear heads.
3.  QEMU is rather DIFFICULT to use.  I have been a UNIX admin for 10 years, am fairly conversant in iptables etc.  Yet my firewalling questions were ignored THREE times.  Firewalling a host is a cool concept, I can have "trusted boxes" and make sure they only talk to whom they are supposed to.  I figured out MYSELF that you have to filter on the FORWARD chain.  No one was even kind enough to respond "RTFM" or "You need to filter on the forward chain."  Its Not in the docs etc. Most people wouldn't be able to do this( e.g figure out how to firewall guest os).  Again, if you want gearheads only, then fine.
4.  I am compiling a list of my difficulties, and will be writing documentation to help people setting qemu for the first time.  The existing documentation simply does not cover in high detail how to get qemu working.  For example, I found it very confusing on what qemu-fast is for.  A simple "QEMU-FAST ONLY works with linux at this time.  You must install a working GUEST image, apply the appropriate patch to the GUEST kernel, and then run qemu-fast.  DO NOT TRY to use QEMU-FAST otherwise.  It will simply segfault!

I will be posting the document to this list.  If anyone else has any suggestions, I will incorporate them into a professional, and complete document designed for the newcomer.

My perspective of this document, will, alas, only be from the linux corner, as I do not use QEMU in windows......(as a host os)

Something akin to the GENTOO install handbook would be the caliber I would be shooting for.

Sincerely,

Thomas J. Munn