qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Hyperthreading in the VM host

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Hyperthreading in the VM host
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:27:53 -0500

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 03:52:43PM +0000, Julian Chesterfield wrote:
> My understanding is that Qemu does not support hyperthreading in the host
> OS.

You mean guest OS, right? It shouldn't make a different if the host OS uses it
or not.

> I'm wondering what the arguments are for and against such support. Is it
> in fact architecturally feasible and could there potentially be any
> performance
> gain?

It would be easier to implement true SMP emulation inside of qemu.
Hyperthreading
is just a way to make one CPU look like 2, so it is a way for the PIV to emulate
SMP... there is no point in emulating hyperthreading if we can implement SMP
inside of qemu. Why go to the trouble of getting one emulated cpu to do the
job of 2 when you can just emulate 2 cpus?