qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Just a thought (high level API)

From: Magnus Damm
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Just a thought (high level API)
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:16:58 +0100

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:32:44 -0500, Nathaniel McCallum
<address@hidden> wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks for your input!  I was hoping you'd come out and play ;).  I'll
> gladly do a gtk frontend (I was planning on it).  However, one of the
> first things I would need to do would be to create some kind of config
> file to store the settings in.  I'd rather do this upstream and let
> other front ends benefit from this as well.

Please implement a gtk frontend, that would be really cool and useful!
And speaking about config files, I think extending the current way of
passing options to the system emulator further leads to is a dead end:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-01/msg00175.html

I would like to see more reentrant code that makes it possible to have
several instances of the same code hooked up at different places in
the emulator. Code that emulates hardware is of course a candidate,
but I also think displaying and muxing graphics is a typical thing
that a user wants to control from somewhere. Say that I would like to
emulate a system with two vga cards - where should the output go? To
one window and to /dev/null? Or two windows? Or muxed together like
the vga output and the monitor in one window? I think the best is to
let the user decide.

/ magnus