qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Plex86 and Qemu

From: jeebs
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Plex86 and Qemu
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 13:35:10 -0600

From: "Jim C. Brown" <address@hidden>

>> The reason I'm asking is that I use Windows, not Linux.
>
> I can tell by the length of lines in your email. ;)

Yeah... Some Linux mail readers do seem to have problems with line lengths.
You'd think they'd fix it and add reasonable line wrapping, but... Heck... even
the old dial up BBS newsgroups (Fidonet etc.) in the 80's and 90's had mail
readers that could handle long lines and do line wrapping...  [shrug]

>> Therefor Fabrice's new module is useless to me.  Nice idea etc., but utterly
>> useless to me.
>
> Mine will be too, unless someone ports plex86 to Windows.

Plex86 v2 is still limited to running only *modified* linux kernals.

So even for those who just want to run a copy of Linux aren't really going to
be helped.  No Knoppix or any other Live! emergency boot cd.  No experimenting
with other distro's, etc.

>> Plex86 v2 is also Linux only, and requires patched guest kernels.
>
> My idea is to use the module in cosimulation. This would not require a patch
> guest kernel and would allow for any guest OS to be used, not just linux.

I'm not quite sure I follow...

I'm not quite sure how you are going to do that.

>> Anyway, the point I'm making (and asking about) is that
>> the majority of potential users are either going to run Windows
>> as the guest, or as the host..  (And possibly both.)
>
> Mine will support using Windows as guest, but not as host.

Then that's still going to be extremely limited.  Effecting probably 95%+ of
the potential users.

>> So... is your idea going to be helpful to the majority of potential users?
>>

> Yes. It will let linux2.4 users run Windows and Windows apps.

I wouldn't call that "majority of potential users"...  Maybe "many in this
mailing list", but that's not quite the same thing.

[grimace]

Oh well.