qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] coLinux and Qemu? --was-- Plex86 and Qemu

From: Mark Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] coLinux and Qemu? --was-- Plex86 and Qemu
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:58:58 +0000

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 01:05:38PM +1300, Darryl Dixon wrote:
> > Just a thought, but coLinux (www.colinux.org) has a low-level Windows
> > driver to give the Linux kernel access to the  CPU.  Perhaps this could
> > be modified to simply allow Qemu to execute user-space code (a la kqemu)
> > on Windows?
>
> I wasn't aware that CoLinux did this (or that it even needed to). I am not
> sure how CoLinux works - whether or not this is possible depends on how
> CoLinux runs linux executables (i.e. whether or not they need to be
> virtalized). If it does do virtalization, this should be a viable approach.

It's paravirtualization, rather than full virtualization: the Linux kernel is
modified to run in the CoLinux environment.  They therefore don't have to do
the tricky bits from full virtualization of catching and emulating privileged
operations.

That said, the code for taking over the IDT, etc. in order to get control of
the system from Windows may be relevant.

CoLinux kernel modules exist for both Linux and Windows IIRC.

Cheers,
Mark