qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] gcc4 host support

From: Gwenole Beauchesne
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] gcc4 host support
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:23:17 +0200

Le mercredi, 18 mai 2005, à 22:48 Europe/Paris, Paul Brook a écrit :

It's been said before that the long-term solution is to [incrementally] remove
dyngen altogether, and replace it with a had-written code generator.
I've discussed this in a bit more detail with Fabrice, and have an
almost-working prototype implementation. When I get something that actually
works I'll post it to the list for comments.

Have you considered the VEX library? I have not tried it yet but it looks promising. However, since it aims at providing a common IR, it can miss certain optimizations related to condition codes (at least as ppc guest).

BTW, since dyngen-based JIT is fast enough both at compile time and at run time, it could be used to gather stats for a higher optimizing JIT (VEX or whatever). e.g. profiling branches in order to optimize hot traces, providing hints for indirect branches, etc.