qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Build environment image

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Build environment image
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:48:59 -0700

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 18:19 +0100, Tim Walker wrote:
> Is this a bad idea for some reason, or is it just unnecessary? Some
> feedback would be appreciated.

It's a cool idea, I think. I went through the mingw thing a while back
and it's a PITA. It would be nice to have known working build platform
preconfigured that anyone can download.

I imagine the speed wouldn't be fantastic though. Another possibility:

To make it faster you could integrate the build into a Live CD like Damn
Small Linux (it can easily remaster itself with gcc and whatever other
Debian components you need to build QEMU).

Then any Windows user should be able to boot DSL, run a script to get
latest sources from CVS and build QEMU for Windows saving the .EXE to
their Windows partition.

BTW, one problem with WIndows is that QEMU developers do not have access
to Windows licenses. Might be nice for non-programmers who want to
contribute to donate old licensed copies of Windows for testing work.

-- John.