qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Build environment image

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Build environment image
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:39:25 -0400

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 03:52:20PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> "John R. Hogerhuis"
>

> > I can't say. But even if it were, I'd guess most here would rather work
> > under Unix-like OS.
>
> Undoubtably.
>
> The Linux builders outnumber the Win builders by probably 50 to one.  If not
> more.

I just installed cygwin in my Windows XP inside of qemu. Ah, home away from
home .. at home.

Anyways, this might make for an interesting testing server.

> But I know from the effort I went through to get qemu to build under windows
> that it can indeed be a problem.
>
> And it's a bit sensitive to what other stuff you may install.  And which
> version of Mingw you do.  (Older works, newer doesn't.)

What about cygwin with -mno-cygwin?

> And a library header was in a different location than expected.

I didn't have an actual Windows GTK installation to look at, so I was just
guessing. If I had a properly set up cross compile environment, that probably
wouldn't have happened.

Of course, we'd have to get it right first, but that only has to be done once.

> Well, when I was building the gtk version for Jim, we did encounter a
> situation with the libraries.
>
> His build didn't use the same settings as the prebuilt ones did for Windows.
>
> A linux environment might be inclined to just build the whole thing.  And to
> use paths as located in linux.
>
> It's also possible that developers may introduce more linux specific stuff
> without even realizing it.
>
> I'm just saying that some Win build issues might show up that you didn't
> think about while doing a Linux one.

The main issue is a testing environment. E.g. a way to run the compiled code
once the build completes to make sure everything works.