qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] non-blocking disk IO

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] non-blocking disk IO
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 05:49:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

Why is there a posix async IO 'standard', but a different linux AIO standard?

Because the Posix AIO sucks quite badly both to implement and use.

But all Linuxes I know of have a Posix AIO library. Some even have a Posix AIO library using Linux AIO.

Having something that wraps both Linux-native AIO and posix async I/O
might make supporting it a little easier to swallow on cross-platform
applications.

If you anyway plan on having Posix AIO support then go for the Posix AIO interface. The performance reasons why Linux AIO exists is very unlikely to be an issue to qemu as you need to be quite I/O intensive to see any performance difference.

Regards
Henrik