qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK GUI for QEmu

From: Oliver Gerlich
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK GUI for QEmu
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:32:49 +0100

Anthony Liguori schrieb:
> Howdy,
>
> I started working last week on a GTK GUI for QEmu.  I've made enough
> progress that I wanted to share the results with everyone and collect
> feedback--especially any feedback regarding what should be added/changed
> for inclusion in Fabrice's tree.
>
> Here's a rough overview of the features:
>
> o XShmImage based display widget--initial performance tests indicate it
> has identical overhead to the SDL GUI.
> o GUI-based pause/save/restore/eject
> o Screenshot (supporting all formats of GdkPixbuf--png, jpg, bmp, etc.)
> o Video Capture (based on ffmpeg--currently uses mpeg1)
> o Fullscreen mode with autohiding toolbar (thanks to
> libview--http://view.sf.net)
> o Software scaling (so there's no black bars in full screen mode like
> with SDL)
> o XEmbed support (a pygtk based POC tabbed GUI is available at
> http://qemu.codemonkey.ws/qemu-tabbed.py)
>
> You can grab a tarball at:
>
> http://qemu.codemonkey.ws/tarballs/qemu-gtk-20051109.tar.gz
>
> Or you can clone my hg tree with:
>
> hg clone http://qemu.codemonkey.ws/hg/gtk
>
> A couple screenshots are available at:
>
> http://qemu.codemonkey.ws/screenshots/
>
> Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  A bunch of stuff is not there yet
> (there's barely any accelerator support so you can't get to the monitor
> yet) and I haven't tested on non true color X servers so your results
> may vary.
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Liguori

Hi,

just a short feedback on your qemu gui:

- -looks nice so far :)
- -does it require a new(er) GTK? I only have 2.6.10 installed here, maybe
that's why it doesn't find "GTK_STOCK_LEAVE_FULLSCREEN"
- -make install misses "camera.png"
- -the toolbar functions are useful (would be bad if they wouldn't ;)
- -the toolbar hiding in fullscreen mode is really cool
- -the software scaler is maybe a good idea, but for fullscreen mode, I'd
better like to have screen resolution switched to qemu guest resolution
(as it is with normal qemu now)
- -sometimes the mouse can't be moved beyond some point on the guest
screen... But I don't know when that happens and cannot really reproduce  it
- -"mouse button up" events seem to be delayed somewhat: when clicking on
an icon on the desktop of a Windows guest and releasing the mouse
button, then dragging the mouse will drag the icon a bit
- -the windows key doesn't seem to work

Apart from these (minor) glitches I quite liked the GUI. Btw. for the
fullscreen mode you might want to have a look at the thread about Jim's
GTK GUI - these issues have already been talked about there.

Oliver