qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kqemu version 1.3.0pre5

From: Brad Campbell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kqemu version 1.3.0pre5
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:57:19 +0400

Paul Brook wrote:
Normal Operating Systems don't crash no matter what program they are
running.

Except that kqemu is a kernel module (or windows equivalent). As such it is effectively part of the OS, and can easily crash the whole machine.

Yes indeed.

I'm actually quite impressed. I've crashed my guests loads, I've crashed qemu loads and yet I've never managed to leave kqemu in a state that compromised the system integrity.... I'm not betting my life it won't happen, but thus far I've been quite lucky I guess.. (And I have done some severely stupid things to blow up both qemu and the guests so far)

All bets are off for a Windows host though. I'm sure it's much easier to write a module that does what kqemu does when you a) have a good understanding of what goes on under the hood, and b) have the source to verify this.. unlike writing a Windows system module.

Kudos to the guys who put that together and their progress thus far.

Brad