qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: fix bgr color mapping on qemu on Solaris/SPARC

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PATCH: fix bgr color mapping on qemu on Solaris/SPARC
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:50:13 -0500

Dan Sandberg wrote:
Just curious...

Are you using an OpenGL directdraw surface for the graphics emulation in Qemu?
If not, then consider the benefits:
1. It is much faster than any native graphics 2D/3D primitives like Windows GDI 2: It gives full control over things like window or fullscreen mode in any (almost) resolution and color depth.
3. It is operating system independent.
4. It handles things like RGB, BGR, 24bit, 15bit, 16bit, 8bit, alpha channel etc in hardware, all you have to do is select the pixelformat you like to use for the buffer and OpenGL does the rest - lightning fast, minimum CPU-load.

My own feeling is that a smarter thing to do is to pass the VGA ops to another program to actually do the rendering. I think a GUI that used VNC to interact with QEmu would be a very good start. localhost VNC performance seems good enough to me that this should be a reasonable approach.

Hardware scaling would, perhaps, be a useful feature of using OpenGL. Unfortunately, OpenGL is not available enough widely to make this practical in my mind. I'd rather devote the same effort to fast software scaling (via SIMD instructions).

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

My suggestion would be to write a frontend similar to VMware's for Qemu in Lazarus. Why Lazarus? 1. The fantastic GLscene is available for Lazarus making OpenGL-programming easy. Try: http://www.skinhat.com/3dpack/ 2. With Lazarus a RAD graphic frontend based on OpenGL can be made and directly compileable for most operating systems without need for modifications.

Hope someone likes the idea, otherwise I will have to do it myself if I can find some spare time.

Dan