qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] 64-bit toolchain for Solaris 10 on amd64?

From: Leonardo Reiter
Subject: [Qemu-devel] 64-bit toolchain for Solaris 10 on amd64?
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:11:20 -0500

Hello,

I apologize in advance if this was already discussed, but I cannot
find any information on it.  I am trying to compile QEMU (CVS) on a
64-bit Solaris 10 host (amd64), as a 64-bit binary.  This is
"official" Sun Solaris 10, not OpenSolaris.  I used the existing
"port" from the Open Solaris project as a guide.  I have also tried to
compile that one on its own without modifications, and despite having
the blastwave toolchain installed as suggested, the gcc 3.4.5 still
does not support -m64.  For example, when compiling a simple test
program (with just an empty main() function):

$ /opt/csw/gcc3/bin/gcc -m64 /tmp/test.c
/tmp/test.c:1: sorry, unimplemented: 64-bit mode not compiled in

this is also of course true with the default gcc that comes with
Solaris, the one from sunfreeware, as well as any GCC that I can
possibly compile myself (even trying to enable bi-arch support, but
with dubious understanding of this.)

I understand that the Open Solaris project has binaries already
compiled, but I need to build QEMU from source on my own on this
platform, and it has to be a 64-bit binary.

Can someone point out where the 64-bit toolchains (gcc mainly) can be
found, or if not, any special trick to get the blastwave package to
install whatever 64-bit support is needed, if any?  Obviously the QEMU
binaries were built somehow by the Open Solaris project, but it's not
clear what tool chain they used.  The blastwave compiler they refer to
in the configure script of the package does not support -m64 as
expected, so I'm not sure how/what they used to build this.
Alternatively, some hints on building my own gcc (i.e. what configure
options to pass) would help, even if it means adding 3rd-party
patches.  I believe there is a SunSolve patch for gcc but was hoping
to find a pre-built solution if possible.

note that I am not concerned about the host fixes needed to the QEMU
code itself, just the toolchain issues.  In fact, I'd be delighted to
be able to compile the source from this Open Solaris tarball on a Sun
Solaris 10 amd64 host:

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/qemu/downloads/qemu-0.8.2-solaris_src_20061013fri.tar.bz2

This tarball already has the changes needed to get QEMU to compile on
a Solaris host, but again, it assumes a gcc toolchain that supports
-m64, which I cannot find.

Thank you very much in advance,

Leo Reiter