qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QCOW image corruption under QEMU 0.9.0

From: J M Cerqueira Esteves
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QCOW image corruption under QEMU 0.9.0
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 06:01:39 +0000

J M Cerqueira Esteves wrote:
> This time, after installing some packages in a similar Debian guest,
> the [guest] system froze while shutting down (using 100% CPU on host).
> I then noticed that its supposed QCOW2 image file (a 20 GB virtual disk,
> in a by then more than 4GB file) was no longer considered to be a QCOW2
> image, as above.
>
> Curiously this damaged image file has 4543348736 bytes.
> I wonder if there some new bug triggered by the image file size,
> for some size around 4500000000 bytes...

I took a copy of that qcow2 image file (made just before the 'fatal'
qemu session), converted it to qcow, restarted qemu using this qcow
version, reinstalled the additional Debian packages I had installed
during the corrupting session (and more), even rebooted with a Debian
pre-built 2.6.18 k7 kernel (the previous one there was the '686' variant).

The resulting image file now has 4555382784 bytes (a bit larger than the
previously damaged image) and it is still recognized as a qcow image.

It seems there is some qcow2-specifig bug...

Best regards
                        J Esteves