qemu-devel

Re: QEMU Automated Testing (was [Qemu-devel] qemu Makefile.target vl.h h

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: QEMU Automated Testing (was [Qemu-devel] qemu Makefile.target vl.h hw/acpi.c hw/adlib.c ...)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 17:19:30 -0400

On Sunday 08 April 2007 4:43 pm, Natalia Portillo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a huge list of operating systems (both closed and open source, that
> works and that doesn't work under QEMU) that can be used to check that QEMU
> doesn't broke (or even, that it corrects a non-working state).

I vaguely intend to get Firmware Linux to rebuild itself under qemu.  Right
now it's building target images for nine different platforms.  (Although
that's not as impressive as it sounds.  Two of them, sparc and powerpc, don't
actually run under qemu yet.  i586 and armv5l are trivial variants of i686
and armv4l.  And and mips big endian just got added today and wasn't in the
last release.)

Anyway, I've found compiling large software packages to be a reasonable stress
test for most systems, and it's entirely scriptable.  Not much of a test of
any of the peripheral hardware, though.

Rob
--
Penguicon 5.0 Apr 20-22, Linux Expo/SF Convention.  Bruce Schneier, Christine
Peterson, Steve Jackson, Randy Milholland, Elizabeth Bear, Charlie Stross...