qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu Changelog Makefile Makefile.target TODO ae...

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu Changelog Makefile Makefile.target TODO ae...
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 23:47:37 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Andreas F?rber wrote:

> Both the qemu.org and the Savannah project page only mention CVS. If
> there are better ways to get the code then inform your users how to use
> that.

What about graphical diff tools?  Should you _not_ use them, because CVS
has an in-built diff?

Frankly, if even the most proficient committer of QEmu admits to use
quilt, which is definitely not CVS, you should rethink what you just
wrote.

Sticking to a tried and proven standard is one thing.

Sticking to an ancient standard that has proven to have severe
shortcomings (so much so that the ATM most popular central SCM,
Subversion, claims it is "CVS done right"; that alone should tell you
something), when there are better alternatives around, which moreover have
no problems talking back to CVS, is, well, not so clever.

Note that I do not say you should use git.  Just as I do not say you have
to stick with CVS.

Ciao,
Dscho