qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] I got a kernel booted under qemu-system-ppc !

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] I got a kernel booted under qemu-system-ppc !
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 04:55:50 -0500

On Saturday 20 October 2007 3:50:52 am J. Mayer wrote:
> Sleep mode is currently implemented only for a few CPUs. I should add
> all the currently emulated cores. For this, I would have to emulate the
> HID registers, in most case, which is still not done.

Getting it to exit in response to a shut down attempt would be really nice
too.  (It may already do so, but I have no idea how to trigger it and neither
did Milton last I checked.)

> And you can get the list of all CPUs emulated by Qemu with the '-cpu ?'
> switch.

I did that, but it -cpu ? gives output like:

  PowerPC 7448             PVR 80040201
  PowerPC 7448v1.0         PVR 80040100
  PowerPC 7448v1.1         PVR 80040101
  PowerPC 7448v2.0         PVR 80040200
  PowerPC 7448v2.1         PVR 80040201

I prefer the result of "-M ?" which makes it slightly clearer which field you
need to feed qemu as an argument.  (For the record, -cpu seems to want filed
$2 of the -cpu ? output.)  Also, that doesn't tell me what the differences
between any of them are.

From earlier research, I know that if you configure a toolchain for "7xx" all
major PowerPC variants except two will run that, it's more or less "-mcpu
386" of the powerpc world.

The two that won't run it (Motorola's 8xx and IBM's 4xx) are both embedded
subsets of powerpc that have had instructions removed, and thus need their
own toolchains.  (Of course those two removed DIFFERENT instructions,
sigh...)

My random and confused notes about various hardware platforms are
at "http://landley.net/ols/ols2007/platforms.txt";, which has a largeish
section on ppc that probably makes sense to nobody but me. :)

I don't actually have any _background_ in embedded hardware.  Busybox, uClibc,
and qemu all dragged me into it, and I've been trying to pick things up as I
go along...

Rob

P.S.  I removed you from the CC: list because your ISP is still bouncing my
emails as spam, and I don't know if the list sends you a copy if you're cc'd.
  - Ken Thompson.