qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu alpha?

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu alpha?
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 05:43:14 -0500

On Saturday 20 October 2007 3:56:12 am J. Mayer wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 19:49 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi you !

> > > I'm happy to see someone interresting in improving Alpha support, which
> > > is .... very alpha for now !
> >
> > I'm interested in testing Alpha too, but I haven't seem a
> > qemu-system-alpha show up yet.  Alas, I have no hardware or specific
> > expertise in this platform, I'm just trying to build and boot Linux
> > kernels (and corresponding root filesystems) on as many emulated target
> > platforms as I can.
>
> There are a lot of things missing for qemu-system-alpha to be available:
> - the PALCode emulation is far from being complete or even usable

I have no idea what that is.

> - there is no hardware machine emulation for Alpha in Qemu.
> As I have no Alpha platform, I don't know much about the hardware to be
> emulated.

I do know that the ev6 bus is the same as the Athlon used.

When Compaq bought the corpse of DEC back in the mid-90's, they weren't
interested in their chip designers, so AMD scooped up most of the Alpha
design team.  AMD then asked them "ok, if you guys were going to design an
x86 compatible processor, what would it look like?"  The result was the
Athlon back around 1997.  You could actually stick one in an Alpha
motherboard, and the only reason it wouldn't boot is the bios was alpha
machine language instead of x86 code.  Everything else was the same, because
it's what the designers were familiar with.

So if you slap an Alpha in a virtual x86-64 PC motherboard, you're not too far
off.

Here's one spec:
http://web.archive.org/web/19990913123756/http://www.unix-ag.org/Linux-Alpha/Architectures/LX164.html

Rob