qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc and Solaris 1.1.2 / SunOS 4.1.4

From: Robert Reif
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc and Solaris 1.1.2 / SunOS 4.1.4
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:55:08 -0500

Andrew Warkentin wrote:

SunOS might run in TME (http://people.csail.mit.edu/fredette/tme/). I don't think anything other than Linux runs in QEMU's Sun emulation (or for that matter, any of the non-PC QEMU emulators).

Unfortunately TME only emulates a SPARCstation2 (sun4c).

I have only been able to get linux running with QEMU and it seems stable.
I have tried numerous versions of solaris and bsd without success.

I have been unable to get any version of an Open Boot PROM for any
machine working.  We are at the point now where the images actually
run but fail the self tests and hang while accessing the floppy during
the initialization stage.  QEMU hardware emulation is just not good
enough for for this yet.

I would like to see QEMU emulation good enough to be able to run
Open Boot PROM images well enough to load an OS.  At that point
solaris and bsd will probably work and OpenBIOS can be fixed.