qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] user emulation status?

From: Riku Voipio
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] user emulation status?
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 17:31:00 +0300

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 10:28:54PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Debian Etch supports ARM, SPARC, PPC and MIPS, so I only tested those on
> x86 PC.

Notice that etch doesn't use many of new syscalls introduced recently,
and doesn't use TLS/NPTL on many archs. So it's not really a very hard
test for qemu-user.

> Are you people interested in running processes in a foreign chroot (i.e.
> ARM chroot on x86 PC)?

Yes. And I need to get my lazy ass off and start cleaning maemo/debian
linux-user patches and propose them here.

> I wanted to set up some daily automated tests which would fetch current
> SVN, build for ARM, MIPS, PPC and SPARC targets, try to install Debian
> with debootstrap in a chroot.

Since what we are actually emulating, is linux kernel syscall interface,
the most exhaustive test would be LTP. but debootstrapping debian is
good smoketest. Other nice tests could be perl/python/glibc testsuites.

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups