qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] release date of qemu 0.9.2?

From: Paul Brook
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] release date of qemu 0.9.2?
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:10:43 +0100

> >> A lot of previously supported hosts are no longer supported with TCG.  I
> >> would think adding those hosts would be more important than completing
> >> the TCG conversion before cutting a new release.
> >
> > I disagree. The most important hosts are supported, the other hosts
> > were largely experimental anyway, and getting rid of dyngen / gcc3
> > is IMHO worth a release.

I agree with Thiemo. Removing dyngen is more important than new TCG host
support.

> Personally, I'd like to see much more frequent releases (every 3-6
> months).  I'm okay with not having complete features (like the
> dyngen->TCG conversion) or host regressions because I think there's
> value in having releases regularly compared to feature based releases.
>
> What do other people think?  I'd be willing to do the leg work of releases.

Cutting releases is the easy. Making sure the tree is in a suitable state to
be released is the hard bit.  Releases without good quality control are IMHO
pointless.

Given the speed of qemu development, I think 3 months is way too short for a
release cycle.  You may as well just have everyone pull from SVN.

Paul