qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Ongoing changes to the displaying code

From: Ian Jackson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Ongoing changes to the displaying code
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:33:53 +0000

Avi Kivity writes ("Re: [Qemu-devel] Ongoing changes to the displaying code"):
> Instant messaging clients seem to have solved this without resorting to
> multiple processes.

Multiple processes are not a `resort'.  And of course an IM client
needs to do a lot less than qemu, and the things that it does do are
much less hairy.

> > I think that's a better route to go for this sort of thing.  If you
> > think it's generally useful, I think it'd also be worthwhile to host
> > within the QEMU project.  I just don't think it's the right thing to
> > add into QEMU directly.
>
> Or it could be done as a separate executable that links to a libqemu.so;
> the standard qemu binary could be implemented the same way.

I'm not sure how well qemu's processing model will fit in with GUI
toolkits.  I wouldn't trust Qt and Gtk not to make expectations which
are reasonable in a `general purpose' program but not sensible in
qemu's context.

> Applications spanning multiple processes are clunky and inefficient.

Nonsense.

Ian.