qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Ongoing changes to the displaying code

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Ongoing changes to the displaying code
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 12:59:11 -0600

Riku Voipio wrote:
On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:24:42AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
If you search the mailing lists, I went down this route before I originally wrote the VNC server. XEmbed has some serious limitations surrounding how events are propagated between windows. I convinced myself that you couldn't do what you really wanted to do through this mechanism.

Howabout using passing a window xid from the GUI app to qemu with
command line paramater -parent ? This is how Xoo[1] starts Xephyr
(or Xnest) in itself:

[1] http://labs.o-hand.com/xoo/

Window events won't propagate (things like focus cycling). There is tons of information about why these things don't work well in practice out there for those interested in googling.

Of course, with the right VNC extension to support a shared memory transport, I still contend VNC can be just as efficient as SDL.

It still puts a big speed and flexibility limit IMHO.

Why? There's no additional memory copying. There's a very small update latency addition.