qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: 440 emulation?

From: Rob Landley
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: 440 emulation?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 14:41:29 -0500

On Monday 16 March 2009 14:15:06 Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 14:05 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > I'm trying to come up with a working 440 toolchain and root filesystem,
> > and I think I've built one (--with-cpu=440 for the binutils and gcc
> > config seems to be the magic), but my attempt to test it under qemu with
> > -M bamboo led to an "Unable to initialize CPU" message, because
> > apparently the 440 isn't actually supported.
>
> Correct, 440 is not supported by TCG, so I'm not sure what you're trying
> to do?

Test a 440 toolchain on an emulated bamboo board.  I discovered that it wasn't
supported when I got the "Unable to initialize CPU" message, and investigated.
I was hoping that either another processor could run 440 code (ala armv5
running armv4 code), or that 440 support was pending and simply hadn't been
merged yet.  Couldn't find anything about it in the archives, so I asked.
(Not particularly coherently, as it turns out.)

> > I tried feeding in "-cpu 405" in hopes of getting something to at least
> > launch (that's what the source code does when it's using kvm, anyway),
> > but it still said it couldn't initialize the cpu.
>
> As you can see from quick inspection, none of the code involved pays any
> attention to your -cpu option. If you want to make that work, it should
> simply be a matter of plumbing 'cpu_model' through ppc440ep_init().

I might take a stab at that...

> > Presumably this works for somebody, but I dunno how to get it to do
> > anything interesting.  What is the status of the bamboo board?
>
> It works, as long as you can provide working core emulation.

I take it the only way to do this currently is to run kvm on actual 440
hardware?

Rob