qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: Killing KQEMU

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: Killing KQEMU
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 09:30:38 +0300

Chris Frey wrote:
On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 11:24:11PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
Not supporting >2GB guests is a large annoyance (very large if you have 128GB of RAM). Don't know about the others. I think kqemu also blocks memory hotplug.

Even if I were to fix kqemu to support such guests, I'd have no way to
test it, with test machine specs like that.

People say on this list that nobody wants to write for old hardware, but
kernel developers (and apparently QEMU developers) are so far ahead of
the curve that they forget that a system with 1GB of RAM may be someone's
most powerful machine.

You don't need to make kqemu run large guests, just stop it from preventing qemu and qemu/kvm from running large guests. It's perfectly reasonable for kqemu to have some limitations.

If you're stepping up I can point out the problems I'm aware of.

I'm most interested in easing the pain of keeping kqemu alive.  It seems
like valuable tech that should not be thrown away just yet.

What can I, a non-expert, do to help ease the pain that does not involve
a rewrite or a porting to KVM?  I'm very competent in C and have hacked
the kernel a bit, but QEMU is new territory.

Start by finding out why kqemu insists on 32-bit page descriptors, and increase it to 64 bits.

signature is too narrow to contain.