qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Live migration protocol, device features, ABIs and other beasts
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:29:09 -0600

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
On 11/24/2009 07:51 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
to make the primary representation of state an XML document

Since my brain is not working well today, I'll just point out that of course I meant "the primary representation of _schemas_ an XML document" or anything like that.

or  anything like that (and convert it back to VMState structs at build
time), it would not be a huge work, and it would give important benefits.

Like adding tremendous complexity for little to no gain.

Anything that could result in a libqemustate or something like that would be complex, but would have gain. (Yes, I've seen the smiley despite aforementioned problems with the brain).

Which would be...?

"Increased flexibility" is not a quantifiable gain. If there's a particular feature we need to support, let's try to support the feature.

There are bigger fish to fry with live migration than the protocol format. For instance, we need to do a fair bit of work to build an infrastructure that will let us test this stuff in a sane way so we can avoid introducing things like the pvclock regression.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori
Paolo