qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 26

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: KVM call agenda for Jan 26
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 08:42:30 -0600

On 01/26/2010 08:37 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
People who use discovery tools are probably setting up a migration cluster. They aren't going to use -cpu host.

BTW, it might be neat to introduce a qemu command line that runs a monitor command and exits without creating a VM. We could then introduce a info cpucap command that dumped all of the supported CPU features.

Someone setting up a migration cluster would then run qemu -monitor command="info cpucap", collect the results, compute an intersection, and then use that to generate a -cpu flag. In fact, providing a tool that parsed a bunch of those outputs and generated a -cpu flag would be a pretty nice addition.

Oh, I was under the impression that the tool was meant to be software agnostic. IOW, here are all the virt features your hardware supports.

That's /proc/cpuinfo, we should just extend it, maybe that's what Alex meant, but I'd like to see something more capable.

I definitely think extending /proc/cpuinfo or introducing a /proc/virtinfo would be a good idea regardless of any tool we introduce.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori