qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Plan for moving forward with QOM

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Plan for moving forward with QOM
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:01:40 -0500

On 2011-09-15 16:11, Anthony Liguori wrote:
An example is a NIC with nvram that stores a mac address.  In QOM, the guest
could change the mac address, then a user could hot unplug the device, and then
hot plug the device into a different PCI slot.  The path is now different but
the device name has not change.

One of the many paths is still "<unique-nic-name>/nvram", so nothing
changed.

Auto-generated names are not needed, just use paths. In the end a device
name is a path as well, one with only a single element.

The auto-generated name right now would be:

"<unique-nic-name>::nvram"

You are right that that is also a path. And I now think you are right that we could just s|::|/|g and declare that names are paths.

The only problem with this is it introduces a canonical path format. That may or may not be a bad thing..

Regards,

Anthony Liguori