qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] qemu-test: a set of tests scripts for QEMU

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] qemu-test: a set of tests scripts for QEMU
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 17:49:57 +0000

On 29 December 2011 17:26, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 07:22 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> My guess is that a serious attempt at tests covering all the
>> functionality of a device is probably approximately doubling
>> the effort required for a device model, incidentally. A
>> half-hearted attempt probably doesn't buy you much over
>> automating "boot the guest OS and prod its driver".
>
> Agreed.

The next obvious question is: are we going to make a serious attempt?
(For instance, in a hypothetical tests-required world, would we
tell those nice folks from Samsung "no you can't land your
Exynos patches unless you write 9000+ lines of test cases" ?
I suspect that if we set the bar for new board and device models
that high then the result will largely be that we don't in fact
get new board or device models.)

-- PMM