qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 22:41:57 +0100

Am 12.03.2012 22:13, schrieb Anthony Liguori:
On 03/12/2012 04:09 PM, malc wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012, Anthony Liguori wrote:

On 03/12/2012 03:43 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
On 12 March 2012 20:29, Anthony Liguori<address@hidden> wrote:
On 03/12/2012 03:24 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
I agree that that's a specific area it would be nice to do
better in. It seems to me that the qemu-trivial process for
sweeping up trivial patches has been working well; maybe we
could use a slightly more formal qemu-urgent process for
flagging up build breakage etc?

(Personally I'd support a rule that any outstanding
build-breakage fixes must always go in before anything else.)

When are build-breakage fixes not trivial?

'trivial' implies "it's OK if this patch doesn't go in for a
week or two until the trivial patch queue has built up to
a reasonable size". Also sending them via trivial means
there's no mechanism for causing them to be applied before
other commits/pullreqs. So generally I don't cc build-fixes to
trivial.

In all fairness, the last build breakage I see was specific to win32, was
reported on Mar 1st, and a patch was committed on Mar 3rd.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect more than this for a breakage on
win32.

Why?

Patch came on a Thursday and was applied on a Saturday. That's pretty much one business day.

For a problem that affects very few people (and hence has very few people complaining), it seems like a reasonable response time.

Do you have numbers? As far as I know, more people are using Windows than Linux.

Ok, there are more QEMU developers which work on Linux than on Windows,
but that's no reason why w32 build fixes are less important.

Many Linux developers will simply fix a broken build in their local tree.
Windows developers expect that everything works out of the box,
without manually changing the source code.

=> All patches which fix broken build are equal.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori