qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 20:39:16 -0500

On 03/12/2012 08:23 PM, Alexander Graf wrote:

Let's take a real world example from Linux here. 3.3-rc5 had a pretty nasty
compile bug that made the build break on any 32 bit target when autofs was
activated. I posted the bug plus a small bugfix upstream.

We have a different model than Linux. The development tree is only open for a short period of time followed by RCs.

Our development tree is open for a long time. There isn't as great a sense of urgency to fix things out-of-band when you're talking about an active development cycle. If we were in -rc, it'd be a completely different discussion.

Really, the issue here is communication. The default assumption is that a subsystem is owned by the subsystem maintainer. If you want a patch to go through another channel, just say so. It happens constantly. It's very normal for people to ask me to apply a patch directly instead of doing a PULL request.

But honestly, if we made a habit of cherry picking patches in areas with an active maintainer, we would now be talking about how we don't respect subsystems.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori