qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/14] MAINTAINERS cleanups - please read

From: Andreas Färber
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 00/14] MAINTAINERS cleanups - please read
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 10:59:57 +0200

Am 16.04.2012 23:24, schrieb Peter Maydell:
> On 16 April 2012 18:42, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 04/16/2012 12:17 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>> Here's my stab at it:
>>>            Maintained:  Someone actually looks after it. The maintainer
>>>                         will have a git subtree for this area and patches
>>>                         are expected to go through it. Bug reports will
>>>                         generally be investigated.
>>
>> * For something to be marked Maintained, there must be a person on M: and
>> there must be a git tree for the subsystem.
>
> Do you mean "there must be a git tree" or "there must be a git tree
> listed under T: for this area" ? We have I think several subsystems
> where things do come in via pullreq for a submaintainer tree but that
> tree isn't officially public except in as much as the branch name
> for the pullreq is always the same...
>
> I don't particularly object to providing a T: line for
> target-arm.next/arm-devs.next, but I'm not sure it's particularly useful,
> since we don't have the same tendency the kernel does to having subtrees
> which can diverge significantly because of large amounts of change waiting
> for a merge window. I wouldn't expect people to base arm patches against
> arm-devs.next rather than master, for instance. (Maybe I should??)

I'm kind of expecting you to, during the Hard Freeze and in case of
acceptable patches not for 1.1 during the Soft Freeze.

Which is also my problems towards T:, most maintainers don't have trees
dedicated to the subsystem but their personal tree with multiple
branches. For example, the branch you'd whitelist for pulling ppc from
is ppc-for-upstream, whereas contributors should base patches on either
ppc-next or (guessing) ppc-1.1. In Peter's case there's separate
branches for arm-devs and targer-arm.

Officially the branch name is not part of the documented syntax but IMO
it's useful for users reading MAINTAINERS.
Whereas Anthony seems to be suggesting using MAINTAINERS as a tool for
committers, of which currently only two actively handle PULLs.

Andreas