qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] q35 chipset support

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] q35 chipset support
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 09:16:24 -0500

On 06/17/2012 03:25 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:58:33PM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
The Q35 is much more sophisticated.  The PCI-e complex itself can
present interesting topologies and the legacy PCI bus sits within
the PCI-e complex.

Ah, so we can mix in PCI as well? Cool. How does
such a mixed topology look?

It does, but I'm having a really hard time deciphering the spec here. Here's what it says:

"The ICH9 PCI interface provides a 33 MHz, Revision 2.3 implementation. The ICH9
integrates a PCI arbiter that supports up to four external PCI bus masters in addition to the internal ICH9 requests. This allows for combinations of up to four PCI down devices and PCI slots."

So my interpretation of this is that it provides the ability to expose legacy PCI slots. I can't get a reading though on how this shows up in the PCI topology though.

It sounds like it would show up as a separate PCI domain.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori