qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Running KVM guest on X86

From: Alex Williamson
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Running KVM guest on X86
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 09:56:31 -0600

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 15:40 +0000, Bhushan Bharat-R65777 wrote:
> Hi Avi/All,
>
> I am facing issue to boot KVM guest on x86 (I used to work on PowerPC
> platform and do not have enough knowledge of x86). I am working on making
> VFIO working on PowerPC Booke, So I have cloned Alex Williamsons git
> repository, compiled kernel for x86 on fedora with virtualization
> configuration (selected all kernel config options for same). Run below
> command to boot Guest (I have not provided vfio device yet):
>
> "qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 1024 -nographic -kernel
> arch/x86_64/boot/bzImage -initrd /boot/initramfs-3.5.0-rc4+.img -serial
> tcp::4444,server,telnet"
>
> After the I can see qemu command line (able to run various commands like
> "info registers" etc), while guest does not boot (not even the first print
> comes).
>
> Can anyone help in what I am missing or doing wrong?

x86 doesn't use the serial port for console by default, so you're making
things quite a bit more difficult that way.  Typically you'll want to
provide a disk image (the -hda option is the easiest way to do this), a
display (-vga std -vnc :0 is again easiest), and probably something to
install from (-cdrom <image.iso>).  You can also add a -boot d to get it
to choose the cdrom the first time for install.  Thanks,

Alex