qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Disk-Level Introspection to QEMU

From: Wolfgang Richter
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding Disk-Level Introspection to QEMU
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:59:58 -0400

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 4:37 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <address@hidden> wrote:
> Has there been any performance analysis of drive-mirror (impact on executing guest)?

It slows down guest I/O for a couple of reasons:

1. Writes now require a read from the original device followed by a
   write to the target device.  Only after this completes is the write
   allowed to proceed.

2. Overlapping read/write requests are serialized to maintain
   consistency between the guests I/Os and the block-backup I/Os.

Makes sense, #2 is what I want/need (I don't care about the original data).

But on second thought, I don't think block-backup fits the bill.  You
don't care about the original data, you care about what new data the
guest is writing.

Precisely.  I crawl and index original data before we start getting the live
stream of new data/writes.

I think what you really want is a "tap" block driver which mirrors
writes to a target device (typically a NBD volume).  You can model this
on blkverify or check out Benoit Canet's quorum patches.

Something like this, or live replication via drive-mirror which implements #2.

--
Wolf