qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Could configure generate QEMU's linker scripts?

From: Ed Maste
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Could configure generate QEMU's linker scripts?
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 12:30:29 -0400

On 19 May 2013 10:51, in a thread relating to the sparc-linux-user
linker script, Michael Tokarev <address@hidden> wrote:
> If we apply this for 1.5, it will be the first release of debian
> package without extra fixes.  Hopefully anyway :)
>
> (Ofcourse we may add more fixes later but... ;)

Would it be reasonable to have QEMU's configure use sed or awk to
start with ld's built-in linker script and transform it with the
necessary modifications?

Improved bsd-user support is in development in FreeBSD, and I'm trying
to upstream the basic changes that are in the FreeBSD ports tree
before others start submitting that work.  One of these changes is a
patch that replaces the x86_64.ld and i386.ld linker scripts with ones
suitable for FreeBSD, but makes them unsuitable for Linux.  I'd rather
not end up just introducing a parallel set of ldscript files for
FreeBSD, so would like to generate it from the default built-in one if
possible.

For the FreeBSD x86-64 case I can create a suitable linker script (at
least, one identical to what's in the FreeBSD ports tree) with just
the following:

ld --verbose | sed \
    -e 's/0x400000/0x60000000/g'

That is, it just changes the start address.  Is this generally the
only difference between QEMU's linker scripts and system built-ins?
(Perhaps we're missing other changes in FreeBSD, or platforms other
than x86_64 have more extensive changes?)