qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MIPS qemu build failure

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MIPS qemu build failure
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 19:38:53 +0100

On 17 September 2015 at 19:21, Steve Ellcey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Following up to my own email.  Apparently the reason I get this error is
> that I am building with "--disable-tools --disable-system".  I don't need
> the tools and I don't have pixman on my build system so if I don't use
> "--disable-tools --disable-system" I get an error about not having pixman
> installed.

We ship pixman as a git submodule so that you don't have to have
a system pixman, though the configure options you're using should work.

> When I do use "--disable-tools --disable-system" on the configure line I get:
>
> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `../qom/object.o', needed by `qemu-mips'.
>  Stop.
> make: *** [subdir-mips-linux-user] Error 2
> Error: Make command failed, stopping build.

Daniel, this sounds like more fallout from your recent changes?

> It was pointed out to me that 'configure --help' does not list the
> --disable-tools option as a supported option but inside the configure
> script I see this code, so it seems --disable-tools is supposed to
> be supported.
>
>   if test "$pixman" = "none"; then
>     if test "$want_tools" != "no" -o "$softmmu" != "no"; then
>       error_exit "pixman disabled but system emulation or tools build" \
>           "enabled.  You can turn off pixman only if you also" \
>           "disable all system emulation targets and the tools" \
>           "build with '--disable-tools --disable-system'."
>     fi

Yes, --disable-tools is a valid and supported command line option.
It's a bug that it's not listed in the --help output's list of valid
enable/disable flags.

thanks
-- PMM