[Qemu-discuss] Uncaught target signal 11 (Segmentation fault) - core dum

From: Mauro Molinari
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] Uncaught target signal 11 (Segmentation fault) - core dumped
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:32:53 +0200

Hello,
I'm new to QEMU, so please sorry if I say something stupid.
I have an x86-64 VirtualBox machine with a Linux Debian Wheezy system on it that I use to do a sort of "cross compilation" of packages for an armhf embedded system. In short, the host x86-64 Debian has a script that chroots a guest ARM subsystem (which is Debian, too, either Wheezy or Jessie) which runs using qemu-arm-static and its purpose is just to download and build Debian packages (hence, for the ARM architecture) using apt-get & C.. The QEMU being used in the host system is from qemu-user-static Debian package, version 2.1+dfsg-2~bpo70+2 (installed from wheezy-backports). All works fine, I built dozen packages in this way and they work on the target system, but with a couple of them the building process aborts with a segmentation fault which I think comes from QEMU. This is one example output:

qemu: uncaught target signal 11 (Segmentation fault) - core dumped
Segmentation fault

followed by other error messages saying that the child process (the build one) failed.

What could I do to try to diagnose the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mauro