Re: [Qemu-discuss] Booting GUI ubuntu VM on Aarch64

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Booting GUI ubuntu VM on Aarch64
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 11:44:29 +0000

On 15 February 2016 at 11:10, Yehuda Yitschak <address@hidden> wrote:
> That makes sense however I need graphics for demo purposes.
> How can I overcome this limitation ? should I re-build QEMU with
> a different configuration, or is this limitation built-in in the
> QEMU code  ?

In theory you can add an emulated PCI graphics card to the
virt board (via the command line). However the problem with this
is that due to disagreements about whether the framebuffer should
be cacheable or not between guest and host this will not work
properly. (This is hackable around with a patch to the guest kernel
to make it map the framebuffer as cacheable but that's kind of ugly.)

I'm told that virtio-gpu-pci ought to work (your guest will need
to have virtio GPU support compiled into its kernel, and you'll
need a newer QEMU than that 2.2 that you have.)

thanks
-- PMM