Re: [Qexo-general] Interface between XQuery-Engine and XML-DB

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] Interface between XQuery-Engine and XML-DB
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 18:26:08 -0700

Maik Thiele wrote:
I want to write an interface that is able to read data from a native
XML-Database (likely eXist), processing the data in a XQuery processor
and write the result back to the database. I think that should be possible with Qexo as the XQuery processor or do you see a problem that I overlook?

If you plan to read the data and write the result back as text/xml,
it would be fairly straight-forward.  The hooks are there for
reading and writing data using SAX2, but this isn't quite
complete, and hasn't been tested, though it shouldn't be very
difficult.  You'll have a slightly easier time using Qexo's
native Consumer interface.

Note input() and collection haven't been implemented - they
are obvious very implementaton- and application-specific.

To improve the performance I want to delegate the XPath parts of an
XQuery down to eXist. So the document that need to be transfered
to Qexo would be much smaller. Is there any possibility to do this?

It's quite possible.  I'd write a class in Java that acts as an
XQuery function whose result is the filtered output.  Your class
would emit calls to the Consumer that Qexo provides.

Furthermore, do you have some papers that describe the XQuery
processing of Qexo in detail. Which classes are involved?

Not really.  What I have is either accessible from
http://per.bothner.com/papers/
or
http://www.gnu.org/software/qexo/
--