[Quilt-dev] My current quilt 0.21 :)

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: [Quilt-dev] My current quilt 0.21 :)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 22:05:15 +0100

Hi,

I have copied my current version to http://www.suse.de/~agruen/quilt/.
Should we use this version to reload the CVS? I think we are nearing
the stable development phase, so now this seems to make some sense.

There are surely many new bugs. Please help shake them out :)

I also didn't merge several improvements. Would it be possible that
people contribute patches for the things they want included? I really
don't have so much time to work on features I don't need so much.

Here's a list of changes (some probably forgotten):

        - There now is a quilt wrapper script. All the individual
          commands are run from this script. This is a pain for frequently
          used commands like push and pop. (I am using shell aliases
          for some of them, which works well.)

        - The scripts have been split into many separate commands that
          are intended to do only a few things each.

                $ quilt
                Usage: quilt command [-h] ...
                Commands are:
                        add      files   patches   refresh  setup
                        applied  import  pop       remove   top
                        delete   new     previous  rest
                        diff     next    push      series

        - .gz and .bz2 compressed patches are now suported.

        - Quilt setup takes a series file, unpacks archive(s), and
          copies patches in.

        - For those working with RPMs, quilt setup can process an RPM
          spec file and produces the series file from that (by running the
          %prep section).

        - Quilt diff can diff a specified patch, diff the changes
          done relative to after a patch, and create combined diffs.

        - Quilt series shows which patches are applied,
          which is the topmost, and which are unapplied:

                $ quilt series -v
                + samba-2.2.4-smbadduser
                + samba-2.2.3-smbsh
                + samba-2.2.6-doc
                + samba-2.2.6-pdbedit
                + samba-2.2.7a-removeldap
                = samba-2.2.5-linkvfs
                  samba-2.2.7-nettime
                  samba-2.2.7a-acl-mapping-fixes
                  samba-2.2.7a-glibc

        - Quilt files shows which files are new/removed by a patch (none
          are removed here):

                $ quilt files -v
                  fs/Config.in
                  fs/Makefile
                + fs/posix_acl.c
                + include/linux/posix_acl.h

        - Quilt import still sucks. Some ideas are found in the TODO.

So long,
Andreas.