Re: [Quilt-dev] i18n

From: James Rowe
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] i18n
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 02:37:27 +0000

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:31:28 +0100
Martin Quinson <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> as you can see, I toke 2 hours to implement the internationalization
> of quilt, and provide a french po file.

  And provide the po?  My man takes about a day to do *any* po :/

> As far as I can tell, it works. I may have forgotten some strings to
> translate, but I was carfull not to i18n strings which shouldn't be
> (ie, strings parsed by tools).

  Well, it works here too.  Unless...

  On my laptop, the first box I tried my co at I don't have gettext...
bang failed install.

  Attached is a small patch, which implements a AC_ENABLE for nls.  It
is important to read the comments to explain the reason for the overly
complex test on fails.  This is a personal preference on how I would
like to see the output for such a non-essential option.  Maybe wrongly
so.

  'msgfmt' was just chosen pretty much at random as the check prog.  I
kind of feel it is a little redundant to test for them all(msgmerge,
msguniq, etc), what do you think?

  Uhmm, and the patch also changes the way the .mo's are created.  _No_
data files should be created during the install stage of make.  So that
has been bumped back to the all target.

  This kinda of makes me wonder why the autoconf boys don't see fit to
include the gettext macro with autoconf now.  I mean it is that
widespread that surely it should be available in the standard package.
But that is of no real interest, just a thought on it.

Jay